Originating from West Sumatra in Indonesia, the Rendang recipe was linked to the Minangkabau people. They typically cooked the delicious dish on a daily basis. However, it was cooked on ceremonial occasions to honour guests and festive seasons.
Traditionally, a Rendang is cooked using coconut milk and beef as the main ingredients. Traditional recipes would then add pepper, onions, turmeric leaves and lime leaves. The dish would be left to cook for hours until the sauce was completely absorbed by the meat. Thus, leaving it delicious and juicy to eat.
Now, while best served in its home country, you needn’t travel all the way to Sumatra to recreate this iconic dish. At Family Secret, we have created a range of low fat curry sauces that are perfect for creating traditional dishes – including our Indonesian Rendang Curry sauce.
For this recipe you will need:
● 575g Diced Beef
● Family Secret’s Indonesian Rendang Curry Sauce
● 200ml Water
● 250g Basmati Rice
1. Add the diced beef to a wok and cook on a medium heat for at least 3 to 4 minutes – or until the meat has browned.
2. When the meat is cooked, stir in Family Secret’s Rendang sauce and leave to simmer on a low heat. If you want the sauce to go further, particularly if you have a big family, try adding the water to thin out the sauce.
3. You will know when the dish is ready when the meat is tender to touch and liquid has been fully absorbed. This will usually take an hour to happen. However, if you’re in a rush to cook a quick dinner, we recommend leaving the sauce to simmer for at least 30 minutes.
4. While your Rendang is cooking, prepare your basmati rice and serve up onto your dinner plates.
You can see the result of our Indonesian Rendang curry recipe here.
If reading about the delicious Rendang curry recipe has sparked your interest? Why not try it out yourself when you purchase our low fat Indonesian Rendang curry sauce.